Born in Athens,Greece April 20, 1952. Member of Hellenic Parliament since 2007. Former Minister of Economy, Competitiveness and Shipping (Oct 2009 – Sept 2010) and Former Minister for Labor and Social Security of the Hellenic Republic (Sept 2010-June 2011).
Recipient of PH.D in Economics from Princeton University, MPA from the Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University and B.A. in Economics from Smith College. Professor of Economics atUniversity of Athens since 1987 and Chair of the Department from 1997 to 2001. Assistant and Associate Professor of Economics atYale University (1977-1985).
Has served as Director of the OECD Development Centre in Paris (2003 – 2007), Special Economic Advisor to the Prime Minister of Greece(1993-1996), Advisor to the Prime Minister of Education(1996-97), Director General of Centre of Planning and Economic Research, Greece (1982-86).
Has held positions in many international committees including as Member, Rapporteur and Vice Chair of the United Nations Committee for Development Policy (1996-2003), Member of the Euro 50 Group , Member of the “Comité des Sages “, European Commission, DG V( 1995-1997), Member of the EC Monetary Committee (1983-1985), Member of the EC Economic Policy Committee ( 1982-1984).
Fellow or Member to several international research institutes and councils, including the Centre for Economic Policy Research (1984-2003), the CEPS Economic Policy Group(1990-1992), Executive Committee EADI( 2005-2011), Scientific Advisory Board of German Institute for Economic Research(DIW), Berlin (2005-2009),Research Fellow, IZA, Bonn (1999-2002).
Has published extensively in international and Greek academic journals in international trade and finance, economic development and labor migration.
Today, she is Professor Emeritus of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Chair of the National Bank of Greece in Cyprus, CEO of Rightholders Cooperative EDEM, Vice President of the African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF), member of the Independent Commission for Sustainable Equality, Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats – S&D, (Progressive Society) and business consultant for enterprises and organizations in Greece and Europe.
She was married to the late Gerassimos D. Arsenis for 30 years and is mother of two children.
- Sidney Cohen Prize for Economics, Smith College, 1971
- Concilium Faculty Research Award, Summer 1979
- Transmission of External Price Disturbances in Small Open Economies, Ph.D. dissertation published by Garland Press in their series of Outstanding Dissertations in Economics, 1979
- Foreign Investment and Trade Linkages in Developing Countries, United Nations, ST/CTC/154, Sales No. E.93. II. A.12, April 1993
- Macroeconomic Analysis and the Greek Economy (with X. Magoula), Typothito-Dardanos, 2002 (in Greek)
- «Nominal Tax Rates and the Effectiveness of Fiscal Policy». National Tax Journal, March 1979
- «The Reemergence of Purchasing Power Parity in the 1970s», Special Paper in International Finance #13, International Finance Section, Princeton University, December 1979
- «Income Instability, Terms of Trade and the Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime» with William H. Branson) Journal of Development Economics, 7, March, 1980, 49 -69
- «The Impact of Greece’s Entry in the EEC on Greek-American Relations», in T. Couloumbis and J. Iatrides (eds.) Greek-American Relations, Pella, 1980.
- «Transmission of External Price Disturbances and the Composition of Trade», Journal of International Economics, August, 1980
- «Exchange Rate Policy in Less Developed Countries», (with William H. Branson) in S. Grassman and Lundberg (eds.), The World Economic Order: Past and Prospects, Macmillan Press, 1981
- «Currency Baskets and Real Effective Exchange Rates», (with William H. Branson) in Mark Gersovitz et. al. (eds.), The Theory and Experience of Economic Development; Essays in Honor of Sir W. Arthur Lewis, George Allen and Unwin Ltd., 1982.
- «Adjustment to Variations in Prices of Imported Inputs: The Role of Economic Structure» (with Nancy P. Marion), Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv. Band 118, Heft 1. 1982; also NBER Working Paper # 360, August 1980
- «Macroeconomic Adjustment and Exchange-Rate Policy in Middle-Income Countries: Greece, Portugal and Spain in the 1970s», in Marcello de Cecco (eds.) International Economic Adjustment: Small Countries and the European Economic System, Blackwell, 1983.
- «Exchange Rates and Food in the European Community», European Economic Review, 1983, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2; also Economic Growth Center Discussion Paper # 387, September, 1981
- «Devaluation: A Critical Appraisal of IMF’s Policy Prescriptions», AER: Papers and Proceedings, May 1983 (also reprinted in the BOLETIN, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, Vol. 31, No. 4, July-August 1985)
- «Real Exchange Rates in the 1970s» in John Bilson and Richard Marston (eds.), Exchange Rate Theory and Practices, University of Chicago Press, August 1984 and Economic Growth Center Discussion Paper #403, May 1982
- «Discrete Devaluation as a Signal to Price Setters: Suggested Evidence from Greece» in L. Ahamed and S. Edwards (eds.) Structural Adjustment and Exchange Rate Policy, University of Chicago Press, 1986; also NBER Working paper #1529
- «Building a Process of Democratic Planning» in T. Tzannatos (ed.), Socialism in Greece: The First Four Years, Gower, Aldershot, England, April 1986
- «Flexible Exchange Rates and their Implications for International Economic Cooperation» in M. Szabo-Pelsoczi (ed.), The Future of the International Monetary System, Institute for World Economics, Budapest, 1986
- «On the Effectiveness of Discrete Devaluation in Balance of Payments Adjustment» in R.C. Marston (ed.), Misalignment of Exchange Rates: Effects on Trade and Industry, University of Chicago Press, 1989
- «Theoretical and Empirical Determinants of International Labour Mobility: A Greek-German Perspective» (with Nicholas P. Glytsos) in I. Gordon and P Thirlwall (eds.), European Factor Mobility: Trends and Consequences, The MacMillan Press Ltd, 1989
- «The Political Economy of Macroeconomic Policy in Europe», in Guerrieri, P. and P.C Padoan (eds.), The Political Economy of International Cooperation, Wheatsheaf, 1989
- «Structural Adjustment of the Greek Economy», in C. Bliss and J. Braga de Macedo (eds.), Unity with Diversity in the European Economy: The Community’s Southern Frontier, Cambridge University Press, 1990
- «North / South in the EMS: Convergence and Divergence in Inflation and Real Exchange Rates», (with J. P. Danthine, Paul de Grauwe and N. Thygesen) the CEPS Economic Policy Group, 1991
- «Investment, Trade and International Competitiveness» in J.H. Dunning and K.A. Hamdani, edts, The New Globalism and Developing Countries, United Nations University Press, 1997, pp. 181-213
- «Illegal Migration and Local Labour Markets: The Case of Northern Greece», (with Theodore P. Lianos, Alexander H. Sarris). International Migration Quarterly Review Vol. XXXIV, No 3, 1996, p.p. 449 – 483
- “The Greek Economy in the Post-Maastricht Era”, Hellenic Studies, Vol. 5, No 2, Autumn 1997
- “Financial Governance and Democratic Consolidation: The Dual Challenge of the European Union” in A. Vlachou, edt., Contemporary Economic Theory: Radical Critiques of Neoliberalism, Macmillan Press,1999, p.p.159-172
- “The Internationalisation of Southern European Economies”, in H. Gibson, edt., Economic Transformation, Democratisation and Integration into Europe: The Case of Southern Europe, Palgrave Publishers, 2001
- “European Integration and the Need for Democratic Reconsolidation”, in Pelagidis Th, J. Milios ans L.T. Katseli, eds, Welfare State and Democracy in Crisis, Ashgate, 2000. Also in J. Milios, L. Katseli and Th. Pelagidis, edts, Rethinking Democracy and the Welfare State, Ellinika Grammata, 1999, pp. 83-94
- “Immigrants and EU Labor Markets” in Migration Policy in Europe: Present Challenges-Future Prospects, AMPI, Washington, 2003, forthcoming
- Searching for Alternatives – Beyond the Washington Consensus, (in G. Schmalisch and J. Müller), International Policy Dialogue series of InWEnt, Berlin, September 2004
- “Greek Migration: The Two Faces of Janus” (with N. Glytsos) in K. Zimmerman, edt. European Migration: “What do We Know?”, Oxford University Press, 2005
- “Giving Aid Teeth”, Development and Cooperation, volume 32, n° 1, January 2005. Also in The ICC Guide to Corporate Social Responsibility, 2005
- The Role of Conditionality in Policy-Based Lending, International Policy Dialogue series of InWEnt, Berlin, April 2005
- Migration, Aid & Trade: Policy Coherence for Development (with J. Dayton- Johnson), Policy Brief n° 28, OECD Development Centre, 2006
- Effects of Migration on Sending Countries: What do we know? (with R.E.B. Lucas and T. Xenogiani), Working paper n° 250, OECD Development Centre, June 2006
- Policies for Migration and Development: A European Perspective (with R.E.B. Lucas and T. Xenogiani), Policy Brief n° 30, OECD Development Centre, 2006
- Migration: a Negative or a Positive Driver for Development? (with T. Xenogiani), Policy Insight n° 29, OECD Development Centre, 2006
- Bridging Research and Policy – What Role for EADI? (with C. Foy) European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes, Newsletter 2, 2006
- EU Policy Coherence on Security and Development: A new Agenda for Research and Policy-making, in Hans Guenter Brauch, et al edts., Globalisation and Environmental Challenges, Vol. 1, Chapter 60 of Part VII on Institutional Security Concepts Revisited for the 21st Century, Springer, 2007